Saskatoon Public Library is following a Board-approved five-step plan to reopen libraries gradually. Employees are actively working on everything needed to move into this next step of the plan, and we are doing everything possible to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and patrons.
Stage 3: August 25, 2020
Saskatoon Public Library is moving to Stage 3 of Our Path to Reopening. In this stage, libraries begin reopening in multiple phases. Reopening dates are subject to change depending on several factors, including the state of COVID-19 in the community. The planned reopening dates of all library locations are as follows:
- Dr. Freda Ahenakew Library: Tue, Aug 25
- Mayfair Library: Mon, Aug 31
- Cliff Wright Library: Tue, Sep 8
- Alice Turner Library: Tue, Sep 8
- Frances Morrison Central Library: Mon, Sep 14
- Rusty Macdonald Library: Mon, Sep 14
- J.S. Wood Library: Mon, Sep 21
- Carlyle King Library: Mon, Sep 21
- Round Prairie Library: Mon, Sep 21
Face masks are required for entry to the library for everyone over nine years old. Free masks are available to patrons who do not have one.
As locations open, they will have limited capacity and limited services. Please check to ensure the library you want to visit is open for in-person service before you visit. Due to physical distancing and limited capacity, wait times may be experienced.
As each library opens, the services available are:
- Browsing of the collection. There may be browsing restrictions in some locations. We ask patrons to make their selections quickly. Please continue to place holds online and over the phone as much as possible.
- Computer use (one-hour maximum).
- Public printing, faxing and scanning.
- Public telephones.
- Public washrooms.
- In-person Outreach Worker support (at some locations).
- Contactless pickup remains available for those who need/prefer it.
- As libraries reopen for in-person service, reciprocal borrowing (in-person borrowing only) will be restored for non-SPL patrons to borrow SPL materials.
All libraries offer:
- Grab & Go Bags (new service beginning Aug 17 – see below).
- Holds pickup (appointments are not required starting Aug 17).
- Book returns are open.
- Virtual reference and assistance.
- Book Club in a Bag, Role Play Game in a Bag & STEAM Kits are available for borrowing (beginning Aug 17).
- Service available Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm.
- Fines remain suspended through September 30, 2020.
Services not currently available include:
- Reading, seating, study and play areas are closed.
- Interlibrary loans are unavailable due to borrowing restrictions at lending libraries across Canada.
- The provincial materials holds delivery service through SILS (Saskatchewan Integrated Library Services consortium) remains suspended for now.
- Programming will remain online.
NEW: We’re Adding Grab & Go Express Bags!
Beginning Aug 17, you can borrow bags of 10 items, selected by genre, to save you time in selecting materials. These express bags will be available in-person at all libraries. Holds are not available for Grab & Go Bags. The selection of materials for each bag is limited to what is available at each library. You can choose from the following genres:
- Children’s – Board Books
- Children’s – Picture Books
- Children’s – Easy (Beginning) Readers
- Children’s – Non-Fiction (Information)
- Adult – Magazines – History/Science/News
- Adult – Magazines – Cooking/Lifestyle
- Adult – Magazines – Entertainment/Crafts & Hobbies/How-To