Saskatoon Public Library is following a Board-approved five-step plan to reopen libraries gradually, which takes into account provincial guidelines and places a priority on the health and safety of patrons and employees.
Updated Jul 9
Beginning Jul 12, patrons will not be required to wear a facemask while visiting Saskatoon Public Library. However, masks are still encouraged and will still be worn by employees. Capacity restrictions will also be removed, and we will move into Stage 4 of our Path to Reopening plan.
Patrons who would prefer to continue using contactless services, such as holds pickups and print/scan services, can request this by calling the library they would like to visit. We also offer assistance via the chat feature on our website, as well as email.
The changes that come into effect on Jul 12 include:
- Facemasks will not be required for patrons. Although the restriction is lifted, wearing facemasks is encouraged.
- Study and seating areas will reopen, with furniture returning by mid-week at all locations.
- No time limits on library visits.
- Public computers are available at each location (pre-pandemic time limits apply).
- Quarantining of returned materials will be discontinued.
- The second floor at Frances Morrison Central Library will reopen (i.e., Children’s area, Fine Arts and The Gallery), though Local History services will remain by appointment only.
- Food and drink will be permitted.
Some restrictions will remain in place over the summer. We expect to lift additional restrictions on Sep 7 (dependent on the state of COVID-19 in our community at that time). At that time:
- In-person, indoor programs will resume at some locations with limited capacity.
- In-person Local History drop-in services will resume.
- Regular (pre-COVID) operating hours, including evenings and Sunday openings, will be restored at all locations.
Other services will be reevaluated in early September. At that time, decisions will be made about:
- Innovation labs and toys.
- Room bookings, which cannot be made at this time.
- Receptions at The Gallery for art exhibition opening
- Friends of the Library store at Frances Morrison Central Library.
The dates and plans listed above are subject to change as new and more information becomes available.