Holds Pick-Up Service
Update (June 16): Hey Saskatoon. We’re definitely feeling your love for the library -- on June 15, the first day we reopened holds, you placed over 7,000 of them! We are asking for your patience while we work to get your books ready for pickup. We are working as quickly as we can while following all safety protocols.
Contactless holds pick-up service begins on Monday, June 15 at all SPL locations!
Holds pick-up service is the first stage in SPL’s gradual plan to resume and reimagine physical library services. Pickups will be by appointment, and all locations will be offering this service between 10 am and 6 pm, Monday to Saturday.
SPL takes the health and safety of all patrons and employees very seriously and we are following all recommendations of the provincial government and Saskatchewan Health Authority. We will be continually monitoring this service and making adjustments as necessary moving forward.
How It Works
- You can place holds on SPL materials beginning June 15 at 10 am. Holds can be placed using the online catalogue, by calling any SPL location or by using the library app.
- You will receive a notification when the items are ready for pickup. Holds will be cancelled if a pick-up appointment is not arranged within seven (7) days.
- Make a pick-up appointment by phoning the location where your items are on hold. The location will be indicated in the notification you receive. Holds pickups are by appointment only. You can also email A[email protected] to schedule a pick-up time.
- Please bring your library card to pick up your holds. If you have an unverified or virtual card, please call (306) 975-7558 or email [email protected] to upgrade your account for borrowing.
- When you arrive, follow the directions on the signage for your safety and the safety of others. Visible markers will be present at pick-up locations to ensure physical distancing.
- Pre-exisiting holds that were on shelves when our locations closed will be processed first. Then we will begin processing new holds. Notifications for SPL members with existing holds will be issued on June 15. You can check the status of your holds by logging into your SPL account or calling any SPL location.
Temporary Changes to Borrowing
- Holds are for SPL patrons and SPL materials only. Provincial resource sharing, inter-library loan, group loan and book deposit and delivery services remain suspended.
- The loan period is increasing to 28 days (four weeks) for all items.
- The number of items available for checkout is decreasing to 50 items per card.
- There are no late fines for any library materials at this time.
- You will be contacted by text, phone or email when your holds are available. SPL will not be sending mail notifications. Please update your notifications preference in your SPL account online or by calling a SPL location.
Book returns will reopen on June 15. Patrons are encouraged to hold on to borrowed materials so we are not overwhelmed with returns initially. If you are sick, please do not return any library materials.
Materials (except STEAM Kits and Book Club in a Bag) checked out before the closure will be due July 15, 2020. However, there will not be any late fines on overdue materials for the foreseeable future.
There will be a delay on checking in returned materials due to:
- The volume of materials to check in (over 110,000 items are currently pending return).
- We are quarantining all returned materials for 72 hours.
Therefore, items may remain on your card for some time after you return them. However, there will not be any late fines charged. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I can’t pick up my hold at the appointment time I booked?
Please call SPL to make alternate arrangements. Unclaimed holds are cancelled at the end of each day.
Can someone else pick up my holds?
Materials can only be checked out to the cardholder. If you would like to have someone else pick up your holds, please advise us when you book your pick-up appointment and we can make the note on your account.
Do I need a mobile phone to pick up my holds when I arrive at the library?
No, you will be greeted (at a safe distance) by an SPL employee when you arrive at the library entrance.
What safety measures are you implementing?
All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before being checked in. Library materials cannot be sanitized, though quarantining items can help ensure they are safe to handle. Patrons who are immune-compromised or otherwise susceptible to COVID-19 should be particularly cautious when borrowing items from the library.
Do I need to bring a bag with me to pick up my holds?
We will provide a bag (made from recycled materials) for more than two items, though you may bring your own bag if you prefer.
When will SPL locations open?
Libraries are part of Phase 4 of the Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan, however, we are not currently ready to open safely at this time. SPL has a phased approach to reopening, which you can learn more about by reading SPL's Path to Reopening plan.
Can I donate materials?
SPL does not accept donated items.
Login to the Saskatoon Public Library account to manage your account and place holds on material. Don't have a Library card? Get one today!