Oct 23, 2023
Video Games Update
Earlier this year, SPL announced that effective Nov 1, 2023, the video game collection would be discontinued. However, we have since decided to keep the games we already have available to SPL members. While we will not be investing in new games moving forward, the community will be able to continue borrowing the games SPL currently owns.
The following are the timelines related to this update:
- Oct 23: Games will no longer be holdable.
- Nov 1: All games will be temporarily unavailable and removed from library shelves for reprocessing purposes.
- Dec 1: Games will return to shelves and can be borrowed.
Effective Dec 1, 2023, we will be making the following changes to how games can be borrowed:
- Each patron can borrow only one title at a time.
- Games will not be holdable. They can be borrowed in person at all libraries. Patrons will be able to see the availability of SPL’s video games by browsing the library’s online catalogue.
This approach will allow games to remain available for borrowing and, we hope, minimize the significant losses this collection has experienced in recent years.
Thank you to all the patrons who shared their thoughts and concerns about this collection with us over the past few months. If you have any questions about these changes, please email email@example.com.