What do you need before you can access everything the library has to offer? Just one thing: a library card.
UPDATE: You can now get a temporary library card number that will allow you to use the many great resources on the Digital Library section of our website. This card number will remain valid for 90 days.
Who Can Get a Library Card?
- Anyone who lives or owns property in the City of Saskatoon
- Visitors staying in the City of Saskatoon
- Residents of Saskatchewan. These cards are part of the SILS* system
How Can You Get a Library Card?
You can get a library card at any SPL location or any public library in Saskatchewan.
What will you need?
When you come to the branch to get your card, you will need a piece of personal identification and proof of your Saskatoon address. A piece of identification that includes your address (such as a driver’s license) will meet both requirements. Teens can use the signature of a parent or guardian as a form of identification. Children under 14 years of age must have parent or guardian sign the application form. Parents or guardians are responsible for materials borrowed by their children.
- Driver's License
- Student Card
- Personal Cheque Book
- Treaty Card
- Cancelled Personal Mail
- Utility Bill (including a digital copy of an e-bill)
- Government Correspondence
What if You Have No Identification?
Community Access Cards allow you to use the computers, online databases and resources, and borrow up to 4 items at a time. You can get a Community Access Card without identification as long as a community member can vouch for your identity.
Eligible community members include, but are not limited to:
- shelter workers
- religious leaders
- community outreach workers
- group home staff
The vouching community member is not considered responsible should borrowed items not be returned.
If you have a fixed address but no proof of address, we can send a postcard to your address. When you receive it, bring it into any SPL location so that we can verify your address.
What can you do with your SPL membership?
- Borrow books at any public library in Saskatchewan (reciprocal borrowing)
- Borrow books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, video games and more
- Access articles, newspapers and more online
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, movies and music
- Book and use library computers
What can you do without a SPL membership?
- Read magazines, books, newspapers and more while visiting the library.
- Use our wireless network with your wireless device.
- Attend free, non-registered library programs.
Lost or Stolen Library Cards
Tell us right away if your card is lost or stolen. Come in to any location or give us a call. You'll need to show your ID to get a new card.
Remember: you are responsible for all items borrowed on your card.
Login to the Saskatoon Public Library account to manage your account and place holds on material. Don't have a Library card? Get one today!