Looking for a unique way to teach your class useful skills? Check out these programs and services that were designed specifically for teachers and their students in Saskatoon. There’s something for all age groups and grades!
Programs & activities for your students
Grades 4–12 recommended
Time: 30 minutes
Get excited about reading! Students will be introduced to a variety of fiction and non-fiction books. Librarians will present reading level appropriate titles, including can’t-miss classics and new page-turners.
Curriculum Points Covered
- Listening purposefully to understand, respond, and analyze oral information and ideas from a range of texts
- Read independently and demonstrate comprehension of a variety of informational texts.
- Read grade-appropriate texts to increase fluency and expression.
- Using language to express a range of information and ideas.
Grades 7–12 recommended
Time: 45-90 minutes (depending on the number of modules chosen)
This course teaches students about finding and evaluating information online. You can tailor it to the needs of your class by selecting one or two of the 45-minute modules below.
How to Search
- Module 1 Getting to know the libraries collection
- Module 2 Learning databases and digital library
Teachers can look at the digital library and pick up to three databases/resources to cover. You can repeat this module more than once with the same class if they want to cover more resources. If you don’t want to pick, librarians will default to Encyclopedia Britannica and Canadian Encyclopedia.
How to Evaluate Online Resources
- Module 3 What is Fake News? How to Identify Reliable Information
- Module 4 Evaluating Social Media
- Module 5 A Critical Look at Google/Wikipedia
Grades K–2 recommended
This program introduces students to some new picture books, as well as fun songs and rhymes. Fill out the form below to get one of our librarians to perform a virtual storytime for your class.
Fill out the School Booking Form to request the programs above for your class.
Online tools for students
These scavenger hunts teach students to get to know the digital library in a fun and exciting way. They are self-serve and are free to distribute to your classes.
The Bookworm Bag collection contains ten books for kids 0-8 on a theme that you can read to your students or that they can read to themselves.
If you’re looking to borrow a group of books on a specific theme, let us make it easier! Check out these topics and themes to make your search quick and easy while you place wanted items on hold.